Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Art of Cosplay

Cosplay (costume and role-play) is one of my most beloved hobbies as it incorporates art and creativity through constructing and sculpture (when making character accessories or weapons), illustrating/drawing, acting (which means researching as much as you can about the character if you are not familiar with him/her), modeling (for photographs), and having a good eye to try and match with the characters as closely as possible. This means paying close attention to every little detail on the character's costume, matching every color (eye color, hair color, colors on their outfits, etc.), and even hairstyle (cutting, styling, dyeing hair or wigs). It also means being resourceful and creative when creating costumes and accessories. I've made many trips to Joanne's throughout my cosplay journey. Taking photographs and post-processing are another part to cosplay that I enjoy because it helps me work on my Photoshop skills.

Here are some photos of some of my cosplay works:

Uchiha Sasuke from Naruto


Faith Connors from Mirror's Edge
(I had a lot of fun practicing with Photoshop on this one.)

Faith Connors from Mirror's Edge
(Drawing the tattoo was my greatest challenge for this costume.)
Photography by: Andrew Pandes


The rest of my cosplay works and photos can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment